There are several different housing options you can look at if you have a disability. These include:

  • Council Homes
  • Sheltered Housing
  • Housing Association
  • Supported Living/Housing
  • Care Homes
  • Private Renting

Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.

If you need support within you own home, or maybe special equipment or adaptations, you may be able to get a Disabled Facilities Grant or Direct Payments where you employ your own staff to help around the home instead of receiving direct help from your local Council.

Your local Council may provide housing or may tender out to a Housing Association. You will have to apply for housing at your local housing office or housing association office.

Sheltered accommodation is where a scheme manager or warden lives on the premises or nearby. They can be contacted through an alarm system if necessary. Some schemes are designed specifically for people with disabilities and may have specialised facilities and specially trained staff to provide care.

Supported Living/Housing provides housing related support to help vulnerable people to live as independently as possible in the community, whether in their own homes sheltered housing or other specialised supported housing. It can help disabled people remain independent.

Care Homes are for people who need a level of support that cannot be provided in your own home. Your local council’s social services department can provide information about what services are available and how to get them. They have a duty to make sure your care needs are met.

Private Renting is an option for everyone though it can be an expensive option. If you need adaptations you may need to get permission from the landlord.

Contact Disability Information & Resource Centre for further information.

Back to top