If you need extra employment support because of a disability, your local Jobcentre Plus office can put you in touch with one of their Disability Employment Advisers.

A Disability Employment Adviser (DEA) can:

  • support you if you're having trouble finding a job because of your disability
  • keep you informed about suitable job opportunities
  • advise you about specialised support available for disabled people
  • provide specific advice if you have become disabled recently, or if your disability or illness has got worse
  • use the professional expertise of occupational psychologists specialising in working with disabled people

An employment assessment can help you identify your abilities and strengths. At the end of it, you and your DEA will have created an action plan of steps you can take towards achieving your employment goals.

Access to Work (ATW) is available to help overcome problems resulting from disability. It offers practical advice and help in a flexible way that can be tailored to suit the needs of an individual in a particular job. ATW does not replace the normal responsibilities of the employer to implement Health and Safety regulations or replace the responsibilities required by the Equality Act 2010.

ATW can offer a grant towards the approved costs that arise because of an individual’s disability.

Contact Disability Information & Resource Centre for further information.

Back to top