When choosing what level course you wish to do, there are several options you can take. These include:

  • Colleges
  • Adult Learning
  • University

All further education (FE) colleges or universities (HE) will have a Learning Support Advisor, or someone who has responsibility for students with disabilities. They can give advice and information on the types of courses available. They should also tell you about the support that is available, for example, equipment to help you study and the accessibility of the college itself.

The Learning and Skills Council (LSC) requires colleges to have a ‘Disability Statement’ setting out the above. There is also legislation to protect your rights in education.

Further Education colleges receive money to pay for the extra learning support needed by disabled students or students with learning difficulties.

If you need extra support not related to learning, for example, personal care or medical care, your local health authority and social services department should be involved in any arrangements.

There are many things universities can (and sometimes must) do to help students with disabilities. Here are some examples:

  • provide course materials in Braille
  • ensure buildings and facilities are accessible
  • provide specialist tuition
  • provide support during exams
  • allow additional time to complete courses

Also, with all of these, you may be able to claim Disabled Student's Allowance (DSA) which provide help for students who have extra costs while studying, because of their disability.

Back to top